Monday, May 10, 2010

Night One

This summer I am living in Shoreview, Minnesota. A 12.7 square mile city in Ramsey County, in a state hugged by The Dakotas, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Big Brother Canada to "da nort." My house sits quietly on a street only occasionally rustled by the scooters and tricycles of a family on their post-supper walk taking in the sweet aroma of the bbq being had by a few other families on the block and the blooming of my families many assorted planted flowers. Our house is inhabited by my mother who enjoys tea, my father who is learning to cook, and the memory of a loved family pet who passed several years ago and still brings allergic tears to my eyes when I sit on his favorite chair.

Currently I am sitting under a toile comforter propped up by two decorative pillows, jobless and looking for something to do this summer to keep me sane. So far, my summer plans include going on a diet and taking a summer school economics class at the highly acclaimed Hamline University. I plan on blogging to keep my reader informed of the woes of a 21 year old college student living in her parents house for the summer.

I find myself staring off into the distance sometimes reflecting upon my past year in Santa Barbara living in the hustle and bustle of State Street and trying to keep my head above water amongst the sea of academic rigor that Westmont claims and upholds. I miss it, yes. But this summer will prove to be something sweeter, slower, and challenging in new ways. I may feel crazy and visit Paul Bunyon in Bemidji, get lost in the Mall of America, go to a Twins game in the new Target Stadium, or try and find where Minnesota's most notorious celebrity actually lives (please note awesome earring).

Hopefully this summer will live on as legend along with my other favorite American Tall Tales.

I leave you with this video of the most exciting thing to happen in this town since is founding in 1957... and yes... the girl interviewed is named Arwen.

No comments:

Post a Comment