Monday, July 19, 2010

Although she couldn't do one push-up, she thought her hair looked good



I began my summer a little over 2 months ago with several lofty goals such as losing weight and being pro-active (i.e not watching "Kathy Griffin's My Life on the D-List" marathons everyday). Here I am, several weeks later only a pound or two lighter and able to give you a complete plot summary of each episode of My Life on the D-List and tell you what price the guy on Pawn Stars will actually take. As I sit here, enjoying someone else's house and food, with their dog securely secured in the laundry room, I wonder, for instance, why I am posting a blog mainly about laziness and procrastination instead of studying for the Micro test I have on Wednesday, reading for the papers due in September at Westmont, or at least doing a few crunches. Procrastination has always been a close friend of mine. When confronted by nay-sayers, I usually answer by saying that I thrive on the last minute pressure. This however, is not true. As I have stated before, I am prone to panic attacks, and the last minute pressure makes me ill, sleep deprived, and usually makes my work rushed so it is ful of grmatical erroers. Why then, am I still so prone to procrastinate, you ask? Simple: I DON'T KNOW. I wish I had an answer, other than, "The informercial for the Magic Bullet was on, and it was so convincing, I literally and physically could not turn away." (And yes, this is a recent reason I failed to do my homework- my obsession with As Seen on TV products deserves it's own post, but I will spare you for now). I have gotten off track. My point to this post? Trick question. There is no point. I am avoiding homework right now and would rather write nonsense on my blog than think about graphing!

I will leave you with a list of the 8 best distractions on TV right now...so please enjoy them instead of doing what you actually need to do. I have ordered them by night and time so you will be sure to plan to procrastinate in advance:

MONDAY
1. Cake Boss -TLC Monday's 9/8pm
Join Buddy and his team of bakers as they out-do every cake show on tv and make amazing looking cakes with creative flair and hilarious east coast banter. If nothing else, the accents are worth the show alone. Think of it as the Jersey Shore minus the tans, the idiots, the alcohol, the fighting, and the sleeping around, plus CAKE!



2. Pawn Stars -History Channel Monday's 10/9pm
Pawn Shop owners Rick, Corey, "Chumlee", and "the Old Man" entertain over 400 guests a day in Las Vegas and pawn and sell items ranging from a baby gas mask from England during WWII to a spoon made by Paul Revere himself. This show is funny, but more than anything it's incredibly interesting! The men who work at the shop know so much about history and I come away from each episode knowing something I didn't know before.



TUESDAY
1. Cupcake Wars -Food Network Tuesday's 9/8pm
While Food Network rarely puts out a bad show, this has to be one of my favorites. Contestants are given themes and then have a time limit to create cupcakes that match the theme with presentation and flavor. My favorite part of this show? Thinking of better ideas than the cup cake makers. This show is fun competition, and if you pay close enough attention, nothing is stopping you from creating some of your own fun concoctions!

2. Teen Mom -MTV Tuesday's 10/9pm
I began watching 16 and Pregnant last summer and it was the figurative crack to my life, and now MTV has apparently decided they still want more of my soul and are following the moms from last season as they continue down the rough road of being a teenager and a mom. I can't get enough, I don't know why I like this show. If you are a parent, you should force your children to watch this show as an effective non-evasive form of birth control.

WEDNESDAY
1. Toddler's and Tiaras -TLC Wednesday's 10/9pm
I AM A SICK PERSON. I love this show. It's sad, sick, and wrong in multiple ways, but it's like seeing a car accident, you want to look away, but you can't. T&T follows three pageant contestants per show through the prep and actual competition of a pageant. There are fake tans on babies, fake teeth for 7 year olds who have lost teeth, and weird semi-sexual dances by 4 year olds. While the show claims to be about little cute pageant girls, it's mostly about freak mom's who spend thousands of dollars to convince people that although they themselves are super ugly, if you put enough make-up on their daughters, they have somehow "made it"

THURSDAY
1. The OCD Project -VH1 Thursday's 10/9pm
My mom and I have OCD about OCD. This show follows multiple sufferers of OCD (all different symptoms) as they undergo exposure therapy to cure their OCD tendencies. Dr. Tolin is their primary doctor and is AMAZING. If you can find a way to watch all the episodes of this mini-series, I highly recommend doing so. You get close to all the patients, and root for their success.

OTHER
1. Bizarre Foods -Travel Channel T,W,TH,F scattered times
If you know anything about me you know I have a weird crush on Andrew Zimmern, host of Bizarre Foods. If you have a weak stomach, you may want to stay away from this show. Zimmern travels to different parts of the world to try their most bizarre fare and look at how the culture sees food. I love this show because of Zimmern's knowledge, ability to describe the taste of food, and laid back casual wardrobe. This show rocks. So watch it.


1 comment: